OUR NEXT CLINIC IS an outreach clinic.
We bring our services into the community to help those who cannot come to our clinics.
Our next clinic at Oak Street on
Sunday, September 13th
There are many ways and times you can help the PAW Team. We need volunteers to help with pre-clinic set up, on clinic days, with post-clinic wrap up, data entry, events, communication, outreach and fundraising.
Great news! We're starting later at our new clinic space on Oak Street! Clients begin arriving at 11:00 a.m. Volunteer shifts start at 10:00 a.m.; medical shifts start at 11:30 a.m.
We now hold Orientation the morning of our clinics. Meet at 9:45 a.m. by the park side of the building at the entrance on 12th and Oak for same-day Orientation.
view our facility, event, and outreach clinics
VOLUNTEER AT CLINICS
Our clinics are generally held on the second Sunday of every month. We have teams of volunteers, with different shifts for each team.
- Saturday Set up: help us set up the Waiting Room and Clinic the day before clinics. 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Intake Team: 10:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.. (various tasks - please see specific job listings below)
- Veterinarian - 11:45 a.m. for briefing; see patients from 12:00 noon to 4:00 p.m.
- Medical Team (CVTs, VAs, Students): 11:45 a.m. for briefing; see patients from 12:00 noon to 4:00 p.m.
- Services Team: 10:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Creative Team: 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Client Verification (2-4 people) Work with Executive Director to greet clients that are waiting outside. Check for client eligibility card, photo ID, check to see if client is on No-Service List. This is an active position.
- Spay/Neuter Check (1 person) All pets must be spayed or neutered as part of our policy. Put pets that are not yet altered on the Spay/Neuter list. This is an active position.
- Care Team (2-4 people) Escort clients to the Check In area in the Waiting Room. There are four steps leading into the basement Waiting Room, Care Team members must be able to help a mobility-challenged clients negotiate the steps.This is an active position including stairs.
- Medical Triage (1 person, VA, CVT preferred) Determine if pet needs vaccines only or vet exam, give client appropriate service tag. This is an active position.
- Check In (2 people) Check In table is inside the entrance to the Waiting Room (downstairs Multi Purpose Room). Add each client to master list for receiving services, and note all necessary information on master list. Double-check if client is on no-service list. Send list of clients to Registration desk as each page is filled out. Collect $5 copay. This is a seated position.
- Registration Assistants (6 people): Assist clients in waiting area in filling out registration paperwork. Double-check that all information is filled out accurately and completely. This is a seated position.
- File Registration (2 people): Pull and prepare hard copy patient files. Sort based on ticket code and number. Review paperwork for accuracy/completion. Enter client information into database. Must have some knowledge of Salesforce (training provided). This is a seated position.
- Clinic Area Concierge (1 person): Receive clip boards from File Registration. Check clipboards to determine whether client goes to Vaccine-only station or medical stations. Manage flow of clients with Clinic Guides into vet exam area. Communicate with Clinic Area Concierge to determine when vet stations are open and ready for new client. Process clipboards and manage pairing of Clinic Guides with clients. This is a stationery, standing position.
- Clinic Guides (8 people): accompany each client and pet(s) through Clinic. Clinic Area Concierge will assign Guides to client, each Guide will accompany client to vet station room to wait for entry. Assist client with holding pet as needed. Assist vets and techs as needed. Take client to License/Exit station. Go back to waiting area for next client. This is an active position including stairs.
MEDICAL TEAM - DVM, CVT OR VET ASSISTANT/VET STUDENT REQUIRED
- Veterinarians (4-5 persons): Perform basic pet health exams, vaccinate, administer medications, perform minor procedures (skin scrapings, wound/hot spot clean-up, ear cleaning, blood draw, etc). Complete medical records and vaccination paperwork. This is a stationery, standing position.
- Vet Techs and Vet Assistants (8-10 people): Assist veterinarians as requested (ideally there will be 1 CVT and 1 assistant at each vet table; must have appropriate experience). This is a stationery, standing position.
- Pharmacy Coordinator (1 person): Oversee pharmacy, prepare prescriptions, print labels, instructions, etc. Give completed prescriptions to Pharmacy Assistant for dispersal to vets. CVT or pharmaceutical training required. This is an active position.
- Pharmacy Assistant (1 person): Assist Pharmacy Coordinator in preparation of prescriptions, deliver filled prescriptions to veterinarians. CVT, VA or pharmacy student required. This is an active position.
- Medical Grooming (1-2 people): Provide basic, medically necessary grooming and nail trims. This is an active position.
- County Licensing (1-2 people): Licensing table is in Waiting Room. Complete county forms and sell license tags and/or rabies tags. Collect license fees. This is a seated position.
- Pet Care Supply Concierge (1 person): Supplies area will be in Waiting Area. Fulfill requested pet care supplies as best as possible, give to clients. This is an active position.
- Care and Comfort Ambassadors (2 people): Great position for a young person! Welcome clients to PAW Team. Show clients where rest rooms are, fill pet water bowls, assist holding pets as needed. This is an active position.
- Photographer: Take photos of clients and their pets and activities at our clinics or other events for use in Social Media, website, outreach and presentations. This is an active position.
- Videographer: Take footage of clients and their pets and create promo videos and presentations. This is an active position.
- Social Media/story writer: Like to write and tell great stories? Keep our FaceBook and Twitter followers up to date by posting photos and stories of our clients, their pets, our volunteers, and our work. This position may be done off-site.
Team Leaders are highly experienced volunteers who will be able to help you as you volunteer. Team Leaders will be in place for each area of the clinic (Intake, Medical, Auxiliary Services, Creative). Responsible for ensuring sufficient volunteers in place for each area, reassigning people as necessary during clinic. Assist or run orientation updates for each area at beginning of shift. Answer questions from volunteers or clients, manage and check-in volunteers for each area. Solve problems as they arise, jump in to fill in gaps in available volunteers as needed. This is an active position.
WORK AT A BOOTH AT OUTREACH AND COMMUNITY EVENTS
PAW Team sets up a booth at a number of fun festivals and community events around Portland throughout the year, such as Doggie Dash, Oktoberfest, Pet Spooktacular, Last Thursday, Doggie Palooza, and others. Volunteers get free admission, and a chance to talk with fellow Portland pet-lovers about PAW Team.
PET SUPPLIES DONATIONS PICK-UP
Pick up donated pet care supplies from local vet clinics and businesses, and drop off at the PAW Team clinic building. Must have car and valid driver’s license.
Assist in transporting pets to/from clinics or to/from the County Shelter or other locations for spay/neuter surgery. Must have car and valid driver’s license. Coordinate with the Front Desk for information.
HOLD A PAW TEAM FUNDRAISER OR CREATE YOUR OWN ACTIVITY!
If you are a club or group or classroom looking for a volunteer activity, we have some suggestions for independent PAW Team fundraising activities, such as a car wash, a doggie wash, a pet treat bake sale, recycling round-up, and creating “PAW Team Pet Presents” holiday gifts. Or come up with your own ideas for a unique and fun event! You can also help by creating educational posters or flyers for our clinic, or making a photo wall or web video by talking to people at our clinics about their pets and experiences. We’ll post your creations to our website and display them at our clinics and events!